This may be my most requested treat. I’ve been making these for years but have only recently perfected the recipe by finding my secret ingredient. Because I believe recipes are made to be shared, I’m going to share my secret with you…
Vegetable oil cooking spray
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso
3 oz unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350 and spray 8×8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder into a small bowl. Stir in the instant espresso powder and set aside.
2. Fill a medium saucepan one-third full with water and bring to a simmer. Place the chocolate and butter in a double broiler or large heat-proof bowl and set over the simmering water. Turn the heat to low and melt the chocolate and butter. Stir frequently until completely smooth.
3. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Stir in the flour mixture until it’s just absorbed.
4. Pour the batter evenly into the pan. Bake 30-35 minutes. A crust should form on the top, but the center should be somewhat jiggly. Cool in the pan and then refrigerate. Serve in one inch squares.
Despite the name, the men in your life will enjoy this treat as well. Espresso+chocolate, what’s not to love? Although, be warned ladies you may start craving these and do you really want to share?
This recipe was adapted from Today’s Kitchen Cookbook.