I know it was a few days ago, but I’m still basking in the greatness of the Oscars. Movies have always been a part of my life. Growing up, I watched black and white movies with my grandma. My favorites were Jimmy Stewart and anything with Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire. On Sundays my dad and I made a habit of going to the theater while my mom was at work. In high school I always made a big deal of the Academy Awards and had a tradition of wearing my fanciest pajamas.
This year I managed to see five of the Best Picture nominees so I had high hopes with my Oscar ballot. For the big shindig my friends hosted I wanted something themed. I considered something dark chocolate for Zero Dark Thirty or pie for Life of Pi. While raiding my pantry I saw I had red melting chocolate and decided on Red Carpet Oreo Truffles!
1 package of Oreos, finely crushed
1 8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened
14 oz. melting chocolate (the red was vanilla flavored)
1 chocolate bar (I used dark chocolate)
1. Crush cookies-this can be a great stress buster! I put the cookies in a bag and then use a rolling pin and some pent-up frustration.
2. In a large bowl, combine cookie crumbs and cream cheese. Beat on low until well blended. The mixture should resemble batter.
3. Melt chocolate according to directions. (I prefer to use a double broiler.)
4. Roll mixture into one inch balls by hand and dip into chocolate. Place on parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Melt the chocolate bar in a small bowl and use a spoon to drizzle over truffles.
5. Refrigerate one hour to firm.
I managed to get 14 right, a huge improvement over last year!